Sunday, July 17, 2011

Nooks and Crannies

And now for something a little different! I made a harp!  Yeah I know... totally out of left field huh?

So... what's gotten into me?!  I have been working hard at creating new hairstyles, but had hit a rough spot in the design process as the last two wigs just didn't "feel" right when I got them done.  While waiting to get suitably inspired I managed to injure my back working in the barn, and well, it just plain hurt to sit too long at the computer.  That put a bit of a damper in my style...  but now I'm back in the saddle and inspired to make something I've never attempted in all my years in virtual worlds... A harp!
Gee a harp.  That can't be hard right?  Well it may look simple, but there are lots of little details like strings and pegs... with 36 each of those, well it's not easy to keep the total prim count down.
I managed to complete the harp, and a nice chair to sit on for a total of 114 prims.  Woot!  I wanted nice smooth curves and a rounded back soundbox.
Not as easy to make as it was to imagine, because I like a bit of the realistic approach.  My soundbox had to be hollow, and it had to show the strings poking through, and I wanted nice oval shaped access holes in the back for changing strings.  Now, I just need to figure out how to do a sound loop and add some of my original music into it, but that will be down the road.  And I need a good harp playing animation...
So, having been a Celtic Harpist in real life for over half my life, why did I never make a harp back in Second Life?  Mostly because of the prim limit.  I was usually only able to afford a 512 sq meter lot, which allows only 117 prims. At a total of 114 prims for the harp and chair, that would eat up a big portion of the prim budget.  Have harp, who needs house!

That's one of the great things I love most about InWorldz and opensim grids... the higher amount of prims we get to play with!  Another thing I love, besides the clothes and fashion... is that we can open up a shop or business on a shoestring, literally pulling it out of thin air.  It's just a dream waiting to happen for anyone with a creative bone in their body.  And with no upload fees, it's great for people just starting out or wanting to try something new without a huge expense.
Here I am wearing the gorgeous Valdora gown by Boaz Sands of Simply Fae, standing next to my new harp, and toying with the idea of opening up an odds 'n ends store called "The Nookery" where I will get to play with some of my more oddball ideas that don't fit into either my other shops.  And yes, I am wearing men's hair again. I don't know why I've been on this tom-boy kick. Must be the hot summer temperatures.  I just love how playful I feel wearing it, and and yet still feminine.

So that's it for this little peek into the nooks and crannies of Boudica's very diverse mind.  Hope you enjoyed it and I'll see you next time!


Cheers!
Boudica

Style Credits:
Bren Men's Sweater - Fashion Destiny
Basic Jeans - Fashion Destiny
Valdora Gown - simply Fae
Jonathan Hair - Earth - by Destiny Hair

6 comments:

  1. Its beautyful!! You are so talented!! Hugsss!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely harp! I agree with Mera, you're so talented! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello:).. I love your hair... I will be first in queue if you open The Nookery :D..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coming from two very beautiful and talented women! What a compliment =) Thank you! ~x~KissKiss~x~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate! Well thanks! Sorta just toying with the idea but nice to know someone would actually like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! And I had just started looking at harps... What a beauty!

    ReplyDelete